Three Facts You Must Remember if Arrested for DWI
When you have been arrested for a DWI, there are many emotions that you will go through. Below is the information that everyone needs if they ever are arrested for a DWI in New York State.
1.) The Time Length of a DWI Case
The length of time can be anywhere from one or two months to up to a year. This will depend on whether or not there was a blood test administered and the other circumstances surrounding the case. Based on our experience with DWI cases, we can give you an idea of how long your particular case will take to fight in the courts.
- It can take anywhere from 2 months to a year to complete this process
2.) The Penalties of a DWI
There are many costs involved with a DWI conviction. There are several penalties. There are court fines. There are driver improvement courses which you must pay for. You may also have to attend a victim impact panel as well as to install an interlock device. There is also the possibility of jail for a DWI conviction. These are all factors that we can discuss with you based on our experience with handling DWI cases.
- The type of penalties you receive will depend on a variety of factors
- Factors such as your criminal record, whether or not there was an accident and how you did on the roadside tests will help determine your penalties
- You may have to pay a fine or go to driving school, and in some cases even go to jail
3.) Going to Jail Because of a DWI
Although the maximum sentence is one year in jail, the particular circumstances and your record will determine whether or not you are sentenced to jail. We will be able to advise you as to the possibility of jail based on our experience with similar DWI cases.
- You can be sentenced to jail for up to one year
- If you have prior DWIs, it could be even longer
Have you or a loved one been arrested or charged with an alcohol related offense in Rochester? Let one of our dedicated Attorneys in Rochester protect your future from a criminal record.