Can You Travel To Canada After A DWI Conviction In The Buffalo Area?

Many Buffalo residents own property, do business, or like to spend recreational time in Canada.

Unfortunately for individuals convicted of an alcohol or drug related driving offense, it is not unusual for Canada to bar them from crossing the border.

Canada generally bars any U.S. citizens who have been convicted of a misdemeanor from entering their country.

This includes drinking and driving offenses such as Driving While Intoxicated, Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated, and Driving While Ability Impaired by a Drug.

Even though it is only a traffic infraction and not a misdemeanor, Canada has also been known to bar individuals convicted of Driving While Ability Impaired by Alcohol from entering the country.

To obtain entry to Canada following any conviction, a defendant may need to apply for a Minister’s Permit with the Canadian Consulate.

Approval of this application allows entry into Canada for a short-term visit.

For individuals convicted of a crime, long term entry into Canada may not be obtained until at least five years from the date his or her sentence was completed.

At that time, he or she may apply to the Canadian Consulate for rehabilitation.

If granted rehabilitation, a U.S. citizen with a criminal record may enter Canada in the same manner as if he or she had no criminal record.

Other foreign countries have different rules regarding travel following a drinking and driving conviction. Some may not have any serious issue with allowing entry, while others may place travel restrictions on U.S. citizens who have been convicted of a crime.

If you have been arrested for DWI, a conviction may have a serious impact on your life. Call us at 585-484-7432 for legal help.

Leave a Reply