Seating is limited. To make reservations for the free seminars, call (716) 542-5444 or complete the contact form to the right. Attorney Robert Friedman, drawing on over forty years of estate planning experience, will be presenting the following seminars:
NEW LANDLORD/TENANT LAW SEMINAR
At the Buffalo Real Estate Investment Expo & Trade Show on Monday, November 18, 2019 from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM at the LEONARD POST, 2450 Walden Ave., Cheektowaga, Attorney Robert Friedman will explain:
- The NY Tenant Protection Act of 2019.
- The New Erie County Law Prohibits Housing Discrimination Based on Source of Income and Immigration and Citizen Status.
- How to Prevent Emotional Support Animal (“ESA”) Discrimination Lawsuits.
If you thought that the laws favored tenants already, you will be shocked by the Tenant Protection Act of 2019 (“TPA”), effective June 14, 2019, which will be a nightmare for landlords.
- Are your leases, applications and tenant screening procedures in compliance with the TPA?
- Are you risking one year in jail and $10,000 fines for illegally evicting tenants in violation of the TPA?
- Are you aware of the new eviction procedures mandated by the TPA?
Robert Friedman will provide updates on the latest ESA discrimination laws and answer these frequently asked questions:
- What is the difference between a service animal, a therapy dog, a psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal?
- Does an ESA need specialized training?
- What exceptions are there to the law?
- What documentation may a landlord request from the tenant who needs an ESA?
- Can the landlord charge a pet security deposit or extra rent for an ESA?
- Can animals other than cats and dogs act as ESAs?
- How much are tenants being awarded for discrimination against ESAs?
- What special lease language should be used for ESAs?
- What laws protect the landlord if the tenant misrepresents the need for an ESA?
Russell J. Gullo, Donald A. Griebner, and Esther Guylas will also do presentations on reducing your property taxes, new tax laws affecting business and investors, and how to dispose of investment property without paying tax.
Preregistration is required by completing the contact form to the right.
Robert Friedman has assisted landlords for over 40 years with evictions, lease preparation, defense of lawsuits, formation of limited liability companies, real estate sales and purchases, rent collection and estate planning. A frequent lecturer on landlord/tenant law, he was a former Buffalo News real estate law columnist.
Mr. Friedman is the author of How to Survive Legally as a Landlord and the Upstart Small Business Legal Guide.