Rochester Estate Planning Lawyer Explains Needing a Power of Attorney Before Entering a Nursing Home
- When a doctor certifies you as being incapacitated, that will trigger the power of attorney to make a decision on behalf of the incapacitated person.
- Some people are more comfortable in not giving an immediate power of attorney so they do a springing power of attorney.
- Powers of attorney can avoid financial abuse problems.
- If you want to authorize your agents to make gifts in excess of $500 per year, then you will need to sign a statutory gift rider.
- If you don’t have a statutory gift rider, you can’t do Emergency Medicaid Planning.