Rochester Probation Violation Attorney
For less serious crimes, the state of New York will authorize probation in lieu of jail time if they think the defendant is unlikely to end up in trouble again. Receiving probation does not mean you will get off easy. There are often limits on your behavior in a broad range of life areas. If you have been caught violating any of these terms you should contact an experienced Rochester probation violation attorney right away.
Your odds of avoiding jail time will improve if you have competent and intelligent representation on your side. At Friedman and Ranzenhofer, an experienced Rochester probation violation attorney will work to ensure that the terms of your probation aren’t changed to make life even harder on you.
Probation Isn’t Easy, Just Easier Than Jail
Courts have a lot of discretion in the terms they can apply to your probation, and nearly as much discretion in sanctioning you for violating those terms. Here’s some of what a judge may require of you during probation, and why it can be hard to stick to the letter of your probation terms 100% of the time, while employed or in school
- Avoiding bad habits, like drugs or alcohol
- Becoming or remaining employed or in school
- Paying restitution and performing community service
- Avoiding “past associates” – like your friends – and staying out of places you may have ties to
- Receiving counseling or other help for problems like substance abuse
- Being engaged with family and community responsibilities
The team at Friedman and Ranzenhofer are some of the most experienced attorneys you will find in the entire Rochester area. We have decades of experience both prosecuting and representing clients who have violated their probation. We are hands down, your best bet in presenting your story to the court in a way that makes clear that you:
- Did not intentionally violate the terms of your probation
- Are not likely to re-offend
- Can be trusted to continue your rehabilitation and restitution as a probationer
- Continue to warrant a role in the community
If there are areas of your probation agreement that aren’t working for you, a dedicated Rochester probation violation attorney may be able to work with the prosecution to negotiate terms that are easier for you to meet and make you less likely to violate.
Ultimately, judges want to see signs that you are improving in critical areas of your life. We can help tell your story in a language they understand, and can even direct you to resources that may be beneficial to you as you go through this process. Call Friedman & Ranzenhofer today at 716-542-5444 for a free consultation about your probation violation issue. We can help get you back on track fast. Let our experience work for you.