Buffalo NY Home Improvement Contracts Checklist
All New York home improvement contracts must be written in plain English and contain the following:
- The name, address, telephone number and license number, if applicable, of the contractor.
- The approximate dates when the work will begin and be substantially completed, including whether or not time is of the essence as to the completion date.
- A description of the work to be performed; the materials to be provided including the make, model number or any other identifying information; and the price for the work and materials.
- A notice to the owner that the contractor or subcontractor may have a claim against the owner’s property under the lien law for nonpayment.
- The contractor is legally required to deposit all payments received prior to completion in an escrow account or post a bond, contract of indemnity or irrevocable letter of credit guaranteeing return or proper application of the payments. This clause is not required if the contractor is paid on a specified hourly or time basis or charges for materials that have been supplied prior to the time the payment is due.
- If the contract provides for progress payments, a schedule of the progress payments showing the amount of each payment and specifically identifying the state of completion of work or service performed, including any materials to be supplied before each progress payment is due.
- A notice to the owner that he may cancel the contract until midnight of the third business day after the day on which he signs the agreement. This clause does not apply if the owner has initiated the contact,the home improvement is needed to meet a bona fide emergency and the owner provides a statement waiving his right to cancel.
These requirements apply to the repairing and remodeling, of residential property including driveways, swimming pools, siding, insulation, roofing, windows, terraces, patios, landscaping, fences, porches, garages, solar energy systems, flooring, basements, burglar alarms, texture coating, air conditioning and heating equipment.