Buffalo NY Landlords…Here’s 8 Mistakes You Need To Avoid
Landlords can avoid costly mistakes by heeding these eight words of wisdom:
- Know thy tenant. Screen potential tenants with a rental application and credit check.
- Always use written leases. An oral agreement isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on!
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Use move-in/move-out checklists supported by before-and-after photographs and videotapes of the apartment.
- No money–no keys. Do not give the apartment keys to the tenant until the first month’s rent and security deposit are paid.
- Get the lead out. Warn tenants of the dangers of lead paint and abate any existing lead paint.
- Don’t delay until tomorrow what you can do today. Don’t wait too long to evict a delinquent tenant.
- You get what you pay for. Never have tenants do repair work or painting in exchange for the payment of rent.
- Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Do not ignore building code violations and drug-dealing tenants.
For more helpful advice about landlord/tenant law, refer to Books on Landlord / Tenant Law.