Where Does A Pedestrian Hit By A Car Have To File A Lawsuit In Buffalo, NY?

Where Does A Pedestrian Hit By A Car Have To File A Lawsuit In Buffalo, NY?Not all Rochester area residents who suffer a personal injury as a result of being struck while walking are near home when this happens.

Whether out sightseeing in another part of the state or on a business trip that requires walking around another city in New York State, it is actually more common for many people to be out walking when traveling than during their normal daily routine.

Being injured while away from home can be extremely difficult.

Fortunately, when a pedestrian from the Rochester area who is struck and injured while traveling chooses to pursue a personal injury claim, he or she may be able to proceed locally.

For any pedestrian who suffers a personal injury in New York State, he or she may file a personal injury lawsuit in the county where any of the parties involved lives.

This means that even if the pedestrian was struck while crossing a street on the other side of the state, any personal injury lawsuit filed may be brought in the supreme court of the county in which the injured person lives.

This allows the injured pedestrian to avoid extensive travel for any court proceedings he or she may need to attend and also may be helpful if the pedestrian is home treating with local doctors who are needed to testify at any trial.

Unfortunately, if the pedestrian was traveling outside of New York State, where the personal injury case may be filed will be governed by the laws of the state where the accident occurred.

This means that the injured person may have to return to the other state if the claim cannot be resolved between the parties and a trial is necessary.

In some cases, however, an experienced personal injury lawyer may be able to successfully negotiate a settlement without having to file a lawsuit.

Prior to a lawsuit being filed, it is not necessary to have an attorney practicing in the state where the collision occurred, and the matter can still be handled by a local personal injury attorney.

If you were struck by a car and injured, we can help you. Please call us at 716-542-5444.

Recent Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *