Do I Make Child Support Payments To My Ex, Or To Buffalo’s Child Support Collections Unit?

It may seem impersonal, but rather than paying your child support directly to your former spouse, the judge will typically order you to remit payment to Buffalo’s Support Collections Unit (SCU), which is responsible for disbursing funds to your ex for the care of your children.

The system is set up this way to better track payments and ensure that children in Buffalo have the resources they need.

It’s important that you take proactive steps to watch for mistakes, as it can be difficult to get credit or reimbursement if SCU takes too much money out of your check (if you have automatic withholding), or has an error in the amount you owe.

Ramifications for bureaucratic errors can be significant, so it’s in your best interest to stay on top of payments and ensure that the system is operating as it should.

The attorneys at Friedman & Ranzenhofer can help you navigate the child support system in Buffalo and ensure that your kids have the support they need, while you have the funds to live your life.

Call us today at 716-542-5444 for a legal consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *